The 3rd West Wickham Scout Group (then called the 41st Beckenham) acquired official status on 5th October 1934. It came about after the then Rector, the Rev. C.A. Page, D.S.O. called a meeting of a few people interested in Scouting. They included the Choirmaster, Mr. William Powell – a distant relative of Lord Baden Powell the founder of Scouting – Mr. S.W. Quaife, Mr. D.F. Summers, and Miss S. Simmons. At this meeting it was agreed that the Group should be a Controlled Group, (now called a Sponsored Group) with the Rector as Controlling Authority. A set of wooden buildings was set aside for use as Headquarters and was situated where the Assembly Rooms Car Park is now.